won't you be my neighbor

Monday, November 13, 2006

B.U.S.Y.

I went to talk with a friend this morning and I was just overwhelmed with everything that I had to do. While on the verge of losing my mind, she shared some advice to me that I would like to pass along to you.

She had a meeting last week were the speaker used an acronym for the word "busy." Being Under Satan's Yoke. I know that all busyness is not always bad, but sometimes it can hinder our walk and service with God.

A lot of times we don't witness like we should..because we're busy!
A lot of times we don't pray like we should...because we're busy!
A lot of times we don't read and study our Bibles like we should...because we're busy!
A lot of times we don't reach out to others like we should...because we're busy!
A lot of times we don't put into service what we are capable of doing...because we're busy!

In our crazy society, we have more conveniences than ever, but we constantly run around like chickens with our heads cut off. Maybe there is some truth to this acronym because of our busyness, sometimes our relationships with our families, friends, and more importantly with our Lord suffer.

I have heard so many Christians lately say that they have lost their joy and their relationship with God is not what it should be because they just do not have the time to devote to it..

God says, "be still" but yet.. we still hurry!

3 Comments:

  • It's been rattling around inside my head that we are teaching a new generation to hurry up & get finished with this project and to be involved in this that and the other... it's actually quite sad.

    By Blogger Heather, at 7:55 AM  

  • you know...i honestly hadn't thought about that before..I think about it as far as standards and things, but not about being still..very insiteful..

    By Blogger the one next door, at 8:43 AM  

  • The saddest thing is that we get busy doing things that we attach God's name to. We are busy doing church things and projects and good things here and there, and then we neglect our relationship with God. Sometimes we justify our projects and preparation as our time with God.

    I think busyness may be one reason our work for Him lacks power. We concentrate more on the project than we do on the one who empowers us to complete it. We forget that it is His work, not ours, and we get results based on us, not Him. No wonder people get so frustrated. They are not connecting to the source of their strength.

    This is the time of year I feel it the most. I am doing what I love the most, and I love this time of year, but it can be easy to focus on production after production (4 this year!) and forget that it is not about rehearsals and perfection. It's about Christ. It is humbling that after so many years of following Christ, I still have to be reminded of the basics!

    By Blogger Lyrical One, at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home